How to Take Care of Eyelash Extensions
Check out this list of tips to help you take care of lash extensions.
How you take care of eyelash extensions between visits to Lashed By Ash is just as important as the technique we use to apply your lash extensions! That’s why we created this list of essential tips to help you take care of eyelash extensions.
- Periodic touch-up sessions are required to keep your lash extensions strong, vibrant, and beautiful. However, touch-up appointments are only part of the battle.
- The first 24 hours after your lash extension appointment are critical!
- The adhesive used in the application process needs one full day to form the strong bond your lashes need.
- As a result, the extensions are vulnerable to steam, heat, moisture, and cosmetic materials for roughly 24 hours from the time of application.
- Rubbing, cleansing, and other common activities can all weaken that bond and prevent the extension from bonding fully.
Here’s what to avoid during the first 24 hours after your eyelash extension appointment:
- Do not get your lashes wet for 24 hours!
- Do not apply cosmetic products to your new lashes
- No laser treatments, brow or lash tinting, or other treatments around the eyes
- Do not rub your eyes or lashes, including contact with your pillow
- No use of mascara – If you use mascara it must be water soluble
- No use of oil based products around the eye area
- No water or oil to come in contact with the eye area within 24 hours of the eyelash extension procedure
- No use of eyelash curlers
- No tinting or perming of the natural lashes while wearing eyelash extensions
- No continuous tugging, rubbing or pulling on the eyelash extensions
- Be gentle with the lash extensions, avoid tugging and getting them caught on clothes and towels
- Never pull off the eyelash extensions as this will pull out your natural eyelashes
- Use caution when blow-drying hair (extensive heat on lashes could distort the shape of the extensions)
- It is normal to experience the loss of a few lashes during the first 24 hours after the application.
- No sauna, hot tub, steam, or high heat for 48 hours after the eyelash extension procedure.
How to care for Eyelash Extensions: AFTER THE FIRST DAY
Even beyond the first day, you should still exercise reasonable caution to ensure that you’re not unintentionally doing something that could damage your lash extensions.
- Try to minimize visits to tanning salons, saunas, or steam rooms. Excessive heat and moisture can subtly weaken the adhesive bonds that keep your lashes in place, and can cause them to drop out prematurely.
- While cleansing your eyelids and eyelashes, try to avoid using any cotton balls or other swabs in a way that causes them to come into direct contact with the lashes.
- Always make sure that any cleansing is done before you shower or bathe to ensure that you minimize any opportunity for your eyelash extensions to come into contact with an excessive amount of water.
- Avoid using cosmetic products that contain oils, as those oils can weaken your lash extension bonding. That includes oil-based lotions, creams, cleansers, and makeup removal products.
- Do not use mascara with your lash extensions.
- If you choose to wear mascara – (not recommended) only apply to the tips and only use a water-based mascara that can be washed off easily.
- Do not perm, tint, or use an eyelash curler after lash extension application.
- When washing your face do not rub your eyes or lashes.
- Clean around the eyes with a wash cloth.
- Do not pull your lash extensions, as it will pull your natural lash as well!
- You must cleanse and brush lashes daily.
- Brush and groom your lashes gently with a disposable mascara spoolie or eye shadow brush.
- Do not pick, pull, tug, or twist at your lashes or extensions.
- Treat your eyes as if you have makeup on that you don’t want to smudge.
- When you touch your lashes, always use upward, sweeping motions – no side-to-side rubbing at the lash line.
- Remember: keep your fingers off your lashes. Touching them transfers natural oil and germs.
Eyelash Extensions Will Last Longer if You Care For Them Properly
If you have questions or concerns that weren’t included in our eyelash extension care instructions, please contact the team at Lashed By Ash.
Ashley is the best! She’s really the best at what she does. She’s got the lightest touch… so getting your lashes done actually feels like you’re being pampered at a spa! My lashes feel so light and natural while still looking so glam. I get compliments every day and I don’t think i can go without lashes ever again!
I am blown away by how luscious my lashes look. Ashley provides exceptional service and the hospitality exceeds 5 stars! This is by far my favorite place to go. Thank you so much my love! Lashes truly make everything better, and lashes like these make everything magical.
I am so thankful I came across Lashed by Ash after experiencing terrible eyelashes extensions somewhere else. She is amazingly good. I love how she is courteous professional and respectful of your time. She takes her time and doesn’t rush through the application process. She is clean and thorough. I wouldn’t have anyone else but her. 100% well worth it!!!!
Our goal is to make you look and feel your best! We truly understand how important your eyelashes are to your sense of self-confidence and aesthetic beauty. You can trust Lashed By Ash to provide you with the best eyelash extensions Milwaukee has to offer.